Broome Bird Observatory Volunteering
VOLUNTEER HELP is increasingly essential to successfully achieving the aims of the Observatory. General volunteers are currently being sought for two to four week commitments in March – October. Individuals with building and facilities repair and maintenance skills are especially sought after.
Typical volunteer activities may include some or all of the following, depending on interest and ability:
- General maintenance and improvement of the facilities (building repairs, painting, signage, trail maintenance)
- Helping with routine cleaning of the facilities
- Grounds maintenance (weeding, raking, cutting firewood)
- Serving as a campground host during the peak tourist season (June – August)
- Running the shop and assisting day visitors and overnight guests
- Assisting with the BBO weekend stall at the Broome Saturday market.
A willingness to stay at least one month is preferred. Volunteers receive free accommodation and access to BBO facilities, including the camp kitchen, showers, and toilets. Volunteers may also have the opportunity to assist with on-going research activities and to join one or more of our tours (depending on availability).